Masala dosa is a popular Indian dish enjoyed across the Indian Subcontinent. As you can expect from any Indian dish, masala dosa is a spicy tastebud satisfier.
The dish is made from a batter of rice and lentils, which is then cooked in a pan with a little oil. The cooked batter is then spread out into a thin, round pancake. The pancake is then cooked on one side and then flipped over to cook the other side. The cooked pancake is then served with a spicy vegetable or meat curry.
Simplified Masala Dosa Recipe: Another Yummy Indian Delicacy
Tasty Indian masala dosa is a must-try if you love Indian cuisine. You can make masala dosa both as a breakfast dish and a lunch delicacy.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1/2 hours
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dumplings
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 lb. russet potatoes (about 1 large potato)
- 2 tbsp. ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil, plus more for brushing or drizzling
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. chana dal, also known as split yellow gram lentils or split husked black or brown chickpeas
- 1 tbsp. urad dal, also known as split husked black gram lentils, or ivory white lentils (they are white in color)
- 1 large yellow onion (8 oz.), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeño or 2 medium serrano chiles, diced (¼ cup)
- 3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2–3 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup packaged spiced chutney powder (also known as pudi or masala chutney powder)
- 1⁄4 cup ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil
1. Peel and cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
2. Place potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and cook until they start to pop, about 30 seconds. Add chana dal and urad dal and cook, stirring, until lentils are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add salt and turmeric and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add potatoes and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add cilantro and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 30 seconds. Add lemon juice and stir to combine.
4. Add chutney powder and stir to combine.
5. Transfer dosa to a cast-iron griddle and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
6. Drizzle with ghee or olive oil and serve with spiced chutney.
If you really want to taste how the Indians do, eat with your hands.
Keywords: masala dosa, indian street food