You may not imagine a sandwich without white bread or a wheat muffin. Unfortunately, white flour is not appreciated when it comes to its role in our overall health. The reason is both because it is stripped of beneficial nutrients and is concentrated in sugar.
White bread can increase blood sugar levels, speed up weight gain, and causes inflammation in the body.
Health Benefits of Whole Grain Bread
A healthy sandwich is one made with whole grain, rye, and wholemeal bread.
- These ingredients are a major source of fiber, healthy plant-based protein, vitamins, minerals, and many phytochemicals that aid digestion.
- Reduce inflammation, and lower cholesterol.
- Whole grain bread also contains lactic acid, which promotes the growth of “good bacteria” in the intestines.
- Research published in the Nutrition Journal shows that rye bread can reduce the feeling of hunger for up to eight hours.
- Whole grain bread is also a source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that support the nervous and circulatory systems.
Who Should Particularly Avoid White Bread?
While all of us should prefer whole grain bread or rye bread, certain individuals are recommended to replace white bread altogether.
- People on a reducing diet are recommended bread with a low glycemic index, high fiber content, enriched with seeds, and high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Diabetics should choose bread baked with wholemeal, rye, wholemeal, and oat flour.
- People suffering from celiac disease and allergic to gluten do not have to give up sandwiches, it is enough to reach for bread made of buckwheat, corn, rice, coconut, almond, amaranth, chickpea, soy, millet, quinoa, or tapioca.
Primary Ingredients of a Healthy Sandwich
A healthy sandwich is one made mainly with multi-colored vegetables and other ingredients listed below:
- Leafy vegetables(all lettuce, spinach, parsley).
- Nightshade (pepper, tomato, eggplant).
- Turnip, onion; fresh herbs, plant sprouts.
- Egg, lean meats (turkey), fish (tuna, salmon, cod, trout).
- Lean cheese, olive oil.
Healthy Sandwiches for Breakfast
1. Fisherman’s Sandwich
- 1 Multigrain roll.
- 1 fillet of smoked fish (salmon, trout, mackerel)
- 1 Lettuce leaf.
- 2 Basil leaves and parsley
Cut the roll in half, brush with butter or cheese. Place a piece of smoked fish on the roll. Then add the lettuce and herbs. Your sandwich is ready.
2. Sandwiches With Chicken Paste
- Half a chicken breast, steamed or baked in foil.
- A quarter of cooked celery.
- A small piece of cooked leek.
- A teaspoon of chopped parsley
- A pinch of rosemary.
- Half a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Half a teaspoon of lemon juice.
Cut the chicken into pieces. Mix it with celery, leek, parsley, and rosemary. Season with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Spread the paste on wholemeal bread, garnish with tomato. Enjoy your healthy snack.
3. Boat Sandwich
- Wholemeal sticks or a wholemeal bun.
- 1 tbs of butter.
- 10 grams of white cheese.
- 3 tablespoons of yogurt.
- 1 medium-size tomato.
- 1/4 cup of Parsley leaves.
Cut the bun in half. Mash the cheese with a fork, add the yogurt and salt to taste. Brush the bun with butter, put the cottage cheese, tomato slices, and parsley inside. That simple!
4. Grahamka with mozzarella
- 1 Tomato (medium-sized).
- Half a ball of mozzarella.
- A few basil leaves.
- Olive oil.
Cut the graham cheese crosswise into small slices. Peel the tomato and cut it into slices. Spread olive oil on each sandwich, put a slice of mozzarella and tomato. Bake until golden brown, serve with basil leaves.
5. Sandwiches with egg paste and avocado
- Wholemeal bread slices or pumpernickel bread.
- 1 Ripe avocado.
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs.
- 20 grams of cream cheese.
- 5 Rocket leaves.
- Salt and pepper.
Peel the avocado, crush the flesh with a fork and sprinkle with lemon juice. Peel the eggs, crush one of them, and cut the other into slices. Chop the shallot, mix with the mashed avocado and egg. Then add the cream cheese, and season. Put the paste on sandwiches, put egg slices and arugula leaves on top.
6. Sandwich with watermelon and feta cheese
- A few slices of graham.
- A quarter of a small watermelon.
- Half a packet of soft feta cheese.
- A few mint leaves.
Clean the watermelon of the seeds and use a special spoon to cut out the balls from the pulp. Wash and chop the mint leaves. Mix some with feta cheese. Spread the cheese on the sandwich, decorate the top with watermelon balls and the remaining mint.
7. A Colorful Sandwich
- Slices of wholemeal bread.
- Half a red pepper.
- Half a green pepper.
- Half a yellow pepper.
- A few radishes.
Brush sandwiches with sheep cheese and cut into small squares. Finely chop the vegetables and decorate them with healthy sandwiches.
These were our 7 healthy and tasty sandwich recipes for this time. Eat healthily and stay healthy!