To make their hair grow faster, many women swear by home remedies. But can this actually accelerate hair growth?Too much stress , lack of nutrients or hormonal fluctuations can lead to increased hair loss . Those affected then want rapid hair growth in order to regain full hair. Find out here whether you can actually make your hair sprout faster.
The phases of the hair cycle – how does hair growth work?
Hair is horny threads and, like fingernails and toenails, consists mainly of keratin. The hair papilla is located in the center of the hair root. From there the hair is formed. The hair papilla is supplied with nutrients via the smallest blood vessels and produces the horny threads. Every single hair goes through a hair cycle. This takes place individually and depends on genes, hormones and other growth factors. This means that each hair goes through its hair cycle at a different time.
The hair cycle can be divided into the following three phases: In the growth phase, also called the anagen phase, the hair is nourished by the hair root and grows. Between 85 and 90 percent of all hair is in this active phase. It can last for three to seven years. During this time, the hair grows around 0.3 millimeters per day. The hair then enters the transition phase, also known as the catagen phase. In this condition, the hair is no longer supplied with nutrients and the hair root becomes more and more calloused. Approximately one to three percent of all hair is in this condition.
However, this stage only lasts for around three weeks. Then comes the telogen phase, in which the hair rests and is then shed. The hair is only loosely anchored and falls out when you wash or brush your hair. The telogen phase lasts approximately two to four months. Around 12 to 15 percent of hair is in this phase.
Since every hair is in a different phase of the hair cycle, but the majority of hair is in the growth phase, it continues to grow. The average hair growth is around 1.2 centimeters per month.
Hair loss can have serious causes
In fact, there are various factors that have an impact on hair growth. There are sometimes even serious causes behind increased hair loss. That’s why it should always be taken seriously and the causes discussed with a doctor. Below we explain what you should pay attention to when caring for your hair, which home remedies and diet stimulate hair growth and how health can affect your hair.
- In detail: The most important causes of hair loss
Hair care tips
Proper hair care is an important prerequisite for hair growth. You can do something good for your scalp when you choose your shampoo – because it is sensitive and should not be exposed to aggressive ingredients. In order not to slow down healthy hair growth, you should use a mild shampoo without silicones and alcoholic additives. Because silicone lies like a layer on the scalp.
This means that the scalp cannot breathe properly and is not supplied with enough oxygen. If you do not use care products containing silicone, it is advisable to comb your hair with a brush several times a day so that the scalp’s natural oily film is distributed throughout the hair and thus nourishes it. A brush with boar bristles is best suited for this.
In order to preserve the natural oily layer of the scalp, the hair should not be washed every day. Aggressive combing and styling of hair when wet, as well as straightening or blow-drying hair with heat, should also be avoided. Split, damaged hair should be trimmed regularly to prevent hair breakage. Also avoid frequent hair coloring and using chemical hair products such as hairspray and hair gel. It is also recommended to sleep on a silk pillow, as it does not roughen the hair as much as a cotton pillow.
Home remedies that supposedly affect hair growth
There are some home remedies that claim to stimulate hair growth. Nettle, parsley, sage and rosemary in particular are often used to activate the hair roots so that the hair sprouts faster. To do this, the herbs are diluted with water to form a decoction and massaged into the scalp. With regular weekly use, improvement should be seen. However, there are no scientific studies on this.
Many women also swear by the following home remedies:
- Baking soda shampoo: If you regularly use styling products such as hair spray and gel, you should make sure to regularly remove excess product residue from your scalp so that your hair can grow. Baking soda is ideal for this because it is able to naturally remove all styling residue on the scalp. You can use it as a shampoo by mixing two tablespoons of baking soda with a little lukewarm water.
- Acid rinse: After cleaning with the baking soda shampoo, a so-called acid rinse is recommended. It seals the hair and stabilizes the pH balance of the scalp. The acid rinse is nothing other than apple cider vinegar, which you apply to your hair after shampooing and do not rinse out. This soothes the scalp and creates the basis for healthy hair growth. The smell of vinegar disappears after just a few seconds.
- Aloe Vera: The aloe vera plant is also a popular home remedy for hair growth. The plant’s gel is known for its moisturizing, immune-stimulating and wound-healing properties. It can be used pure or mixed with other ingredients such as honey and oil and applied to the entire head as a hair treatment.
- Natural oils: Natural oils are also said to stimulate hair growth. Coconut, olive and castor oil are said to help best. Coconut oil prevents a lack of fatty acids in the hair structure as it penetrates deep into the hair and nourishes it from the inside with valuable fatty acids. Castor oil is rich in omega-6 fatty acids, strengthens hair and stimulates growth. Olive oil, on the other hand, contains important antioxidants that protect against free radicals and reduce the release of the hormone responsible for hair loss. Integrate one of these oils into your care routine and protect your hair from harmful environmental influences. However, the oil can only work properly on the scalp if it is free of silicones. It’s best to work the oil in with a scalp massage. This simultaneously reduces stress and stimulates blood flow to the hair follicles.
Nutrition for beautiful, fast-growing hair
A healthy diet rich in vitamins also has a stimulating effect on the hair. Nutrient deficiency, on the other hand, causes hair loss. Hair loss can occur, especially as a result of iron deficiency . Certain vitamins and minerals, on the other hand, stimulate hair growth. This includes:
- B vitamins especially biotin
- Folic acid
- Vitamin A, C, D & E
Since hair is largely made up of the protein keratin, it is important to eat enough protein-containing foods . Vegetable protein from soy, legumes, potatoes and grains is more valuable here than animal protein.
Foods that contain the vitamins and nutrients mentioned and support hair growth are:
- fresh fruit
- Vegetables (especially green ones)
- Nuts, kernels and seeds
- fish and seafood
- Flaxseed, olive, hemp seed oil
- whole grain products
- Eggs and dairy products
- lean meat from poultry, beef or game
Anyone who suffers from a nutrient deficiency should compensate for this with appropriate preparations. This also has a positive effect on the hair. Also, don’t forget to drink at least 1.5 to 2 liters of water. Herbal teas are also good for healthy hair.
Green tea in particular is said to be able to stimulate hair growth due to its ingredients. Since hair consists of three percent omega-3 fatty acids, you should consume enough of them. The healthy fatty acids can be found in fish, chia seeds, walnuts or linseed. Many of these fats also contain vitamin E, which hair follicles also need for hair growth.
Health status affects hair growth
You can tell a lot about your health from your skin and hair. Women often suffer from hair loss due to hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy , menopause or after changing a hormonal contraceptive. But thyroid diseases, nutrient deficiencies and excessive stress can also have a negative impact on hair growth.Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the body’s signals and practice a healthy lifestyle. A balanced diet, regular exercise and stress reduction as well as avoiding nicotine and alcohol also help your hair stay healthy and grow.