Having a crumb or a hair in your neck or throat every now and then is usually not a big deal. The problem usually goes away the next time you swallow or drink something. Clearing your throat or coughing can sometimes help. But what if the feeling persists?
- Lump in the throat: These home remedies help
If the feeling of having a hair in the neck or throat persists for a long time, those affected should make an appointment with an ENT doctor to be on the safe side. There you can check whether there is actually something in your throat that could be causing the foreign body sensation. In many cases, however, nothing can be found in the area felt during the examination – then experts speak of globus syndrome or globus sensation.
Physical illnesses as a cause
However, the foreign body sensation associated with globus syndrome can have an organic cause, even if nothing is visible in the throat or throat. Possible physical triggers include:
- reflux disease , in which acidic gastric juice flows back into the esophagus,
- postnasal drip syndrome, in which excessive nasal secretions flow into the throat, or
- an enlarged thyroid (also called goiter or goiter).
If an illness is the actual cause, the feeling of having a hair in the neck or throat usually improves as soon as it is treated appropriately.
Stress can also be a trigger
But there is not always an organic cause for the hair felt in the neck or throat. Then psychological stress such as stress or increased muscle tension in the neck and larynx area can also be a possible trigger for the globus syndrome. You can read more about how the foreign body feeling is related to the psyche here .
If psychological factors such as stress contribute to globus syndrome, measures that reduce stress in everyday life often help, such as:
- to learn and regularly use a relaxation technique such as progressive muscle relaxation or autogenic training .
- Courses that teach healthy stress management (many health insurance companies offer these).
- taking targeted time out for relaxation phases.
If the stress level decreases, the annoying feeling of having a hair in the neck or throat usually also improves. You can read about other measures and home remedies that can relieve globus syndrome here .