Did you also come across people appreciating onion juice for their healthy long hair?. I did, and in fact, many many times. Out of curiosity and to know if something as simple and readily available as onion juice can really do such a wonder, so, I did some digging and what I found actually amazed me, will make you too. I found out that onion juice can effectively cure spot baldness medically termed as alopecia areata.
And good news for you! I didn’t stop there either. I actually found out how to use the juice to strengthen, elongate, and thicken hair. But before we go to that part, let’s talk about a study conducted on patients with spot baldness.
Onion juice cures spot baldness: Study
A 2002 study conducted by the University of Baghdad and published on the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health revealed how applying onion juice to hair twice a day for 2 months treated spot baldness both in men and women.
Two groups of patients with spot baldness (alopecia areata) were studied over a period of two months.
Group A (onion-juice-treated): The group consisted of 16 males and 7 females with ages ranging from 5-42. The group was advised to apply onion juice to the hair twice a day.
Group B (Control group; tap-water-treated): The group consisted of 8 males and 7 females with ages ranging from 3-35. The group was advised to wash hair twice a day with normal tap water.
Results: The onion juice group started growing terminal coarse hair within just two weeks of the treatment. By the end of the study period, 22 out of 23 patients treated with onion juice regrew hair.
Only 2 out of 15 patients treated with tap water showed some signs of hair regrowth.
Thicken, strength, and elongate hair
Other than bringing back the lost hair in spot baldness, onion juice can do other wonders as well. This includes strengthening, thickening, and preventing hair whitening. The method of growing long healthy hair using onion juice is something people practice for hundreds of years. If there are no researches to back these claims, it’s simply because none were made to verify or otherwise nullify them.
Besides tones of resources and personal experiences that strongly recommend onion juice as a home remedy for a variety of hair related issues, here are some of the scientific reasons why it actually works:
- You probably had had tears in your eyes dealing with onion. Syn-propanethial-S-oxide is to be blamed. An irritant coming directly from the sulfur compounds in the onion. Sulfur is essential for the regrowth of hair follicles.
- Chemical compounds in the onion juice boost the production of catalase, an enzyme that decomposes hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen optimizing the hair growth cycle.
- A healthy scalp is crucial for healthy hair. The popularly known antibacterial properties of onion come into play here. No infection, no dandruff, unhindered hair growth.
- Onion juice is rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants prevent and reverse premature hair graying.
- These antioxidants also prevent damage to hair follicles by inhibiting free radicles.
Grow long healthy hair: The recipes
The onion is juice is naturally so optimized for hair that it doesn’t even need too much intervention to be made. Your powerful hair remedy is ready as soon as you extract the juice.
Here the two simplest ways to use onions as a hair remedy:
What you need?
- 2 medium-sized onions
What to do?
- Extract juice from the onions using either a juicer or solid press.
- Apply the juice on your scalp with your fingers.
- Massage the scalp for 10 minutes.
- Let the extract stay for an hour and wash off.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week.
What you need?
- 3 onions (chopped)
What to do?
- Take 1 litre of water and bring it to boil.
- Add the chopped onions and boil for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain, and let it cool.
- Wash your hair 2-3 times a week with the onion water.
Enjoy flaunting long healthy hair! Save this pin to come back later or share it with others.