What’s special about heart Patients & Covid-19? Cardiovascular diseases largely affect the elderly. Cardiovascular disease can result in a more severe covid-19 infection. Such patients are advised to continue their treatment and take the coronavirus precautionary measure more seriously.
Doctors from the Polish Cardiac Society advise on how to take care of your heart. These tips can save your life!
What and How You Eat is Important
These important tips for cardiovascular patients is prepared by Specialists from the Polish Cardiac Society. Therefore, we highly encourage you to stick to the advised rules.
- A healthy diet should be followed by adequate physical activity.
- Patients should know that they are at a higher risk of severe COVID-19 infection.
- Limit sugary drinks and fruit juices – choose water or unsweetened fruit extracts.
- Replace sweets with fresh fruit as a healthy alternative.
- Try to eat five meals a day, including vegetables and fruits. The fruits and vegetables can be fresh, frozen, or dried.
- Limit your alcohol consumption or avoid it altogether.
- Limit your consumption of processed foods, which are often high in salt, sugar, and fat.
- Try to prepare your own healthy meals instead of ordering from a restaurant.
Healthy Heart: Adequate Physical Activity
- Exercise regularly, at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week.
- Fun, walks, housework, dancing – it all matters! So, why not do it?
- Be active every day – climb stairs, walk or ride a bike instead of a car!
- Keep fit – join virtual classes and training sessions.
- Download an exercise app or use the pedometer to keep track of your steps.
Stop Smoking at Any Cost
- Say NO to stimulants – it’s the best thing you can do for your heart.
- Within two years of quitting smoking, the risk of coronary heart disease reduces to half.
- Avoid association with smokers – exposure to secondhand smoke also causes heart disease in non-smokers.
- By quitting smoking, you will not only improve your health, but also the health of those around you.
- If you have trouble quitting, ask for help from a health professional.
Heart Patients & Covid-19: How to Avoid An Infection?
- Wash your hands more often. Wash with soap for at least 20 seconds after any kind of physical interaction.
- Make sure to keep your social distance.
- Avoid touching your face – especially your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Never forget to wear a mask when you are outdoors.
- Cover your mouth when you cough, sneeze on your elbow.
- Don’t leave your home unless it is so important. Follow the guidelines given by your health authorities.
- Immediately report to a doctor or call an ambulance if you feel you have severe symptoms of the coronavirus or irregular heartbeats.
So, do you suffer from any cardiovascular illnesses? Are you taking the covid-19 precautionary measures seriously? Share your thoughts with others.