Because lentils resemble small coins, they are said to bring in wealth. A dish of lentils is traditionally served on New Year’s Eve especially in Italy and the USA. Irrespective of the different believes, lentil stew is a health-promoting dish that is great for both winter and summer.
If you ‘ve really whetted your appetite for lentil stew, you can easily cook the dish this simplified yet mouth-watering recipe.
Classic Lentil Stew With Wieners: It Tastes Just Like Grandma’s
A simple yet delicious lentil stew recipe from the German cusine.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Stew
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: German
- Diet: Vegan
200 grams of black lentils
150 grams of potatoes
100 g celeriac
100 grams of leeks
1½ l vegetable broth
50 grams of bacon
1 tbsp butter
30 ml white wine vinegar
20 grams of parsley
1 tablespoon of sugar
- Prepare the bacon, leeks, carrots, celeriac and potatoes according to the instructions in the video.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the bacon and sauté until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Then add the carrots, celeriac and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and sauté lightly for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and mix well. Then deglaze the whole thing with the vegetable broth and let it simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes until the lentils and potatoes are cooked.
- Meanwhile, cut the sausages into bite-sized pieces and roughly chop the parsley. After the 20-30 minutes, add both ingredients to the stew and also add the vinegar.
- Season to taste with the sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the lentil stew in deep bowls, garnished with parsley. Serve with a slice of fresh bread.
If you want to make a mix of lentils, you can add others as well. Make sure either other lentils also require the same cook time or cook them separately beforehand.
Keywords: Lentil Stew
The lentil stew recipe is flexible for amendments. You can add other different ingredients as per your liking. Additionally, as we mentioned above, you can add more than one kind of lentils to the mix.