The idea of taking a cold bath may seem crazy to many. But it just has too many mental and physical health benefits you can’t simply ignore. After learning about these 7 health benefits of taking a cold bath, we are certain that you will enjoy one whenever you find it feasible.
Before we talk about the seven benefits, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- A cold bath can’t be used as an alternative to medicine or remedy for a disease.
- It is not recommended to take a cold bath with chilling cold water or in extreme cold weathers.
- People with any chronic or acute illness should consult a doctor before taking a cold bath, as it may put great pressure on their bodies and blood circulation.
That being said, to begin with, let’s look into some of the studies that signify the importance of cold baths and cold water immersions for better health.
- A study conducted by the British Journal of Sport medicine indicated that cold bath can improve respiration, blood circulation and heart beat.
- A Plos One study published in the US National Institute of Health National Library of Health showed how cold showering can improve a person’s overall health and increase work productivity.
- A study published in the Medical hypothesis explains how adapted cold showers can be used as a potential treatment for depression.
- A North American Journal of Medical Sciences study shows how cold showers can help with pain relief and act as a local anesthetic.
Here are the 7 health benefits for cold baths:
1. Strengthens the lymphatic system
The site noted that the lymphatic system contains vessels that help rid the body of waste and microbes. Bathing with cold water helps constriction of the lymphatic vessels, which causes the lymphatic system to pump lymphatic fluid throughout the body and help it to remove waste.
2. Improves blood circulation
Bathing with cold water can help improve blood circulation, stimulate blood flow.
3- Relieves inflammation
The site showed that after intense exercise, many people resort to the use of heating pads or massage with hot oil, but bathing with cold water can also help reduce inflammation. Many professional athletes bathe with cold water for this very reason. However, anyone can benefit from bathing with cold water after workout or doing household chores.
4. Makes you Feel happy
While showering with cold water is not a cure for depression, it may help to temporarily reduce its symptoms, as shown by a research study conducted in 2007 that indicated that this shower, along with traditional treatments such as medicines, can help alleviate the symptoms of depression and improve the condition. This is explained by the fact that cold water stimulates mood-enhancing neurotransmitters that promote happiness levels.
5. Helps lose weight
The site explained that since cold water helps to stimulate blood flow, it can enhance metabolism, which will inevitably help with weight loss.
6. Promotes hair and skin health
Cold water narrows the pores and tightens the skin, as well as reduces the number of oils produced by your skin when bathing with hot water, irritating and drying the skin, thus requiring hydration. In turn, cold water helps to stimulate the hair follicles that will make them more vivid, according to the location.
7- Relieves pain and swelling
When developing a spasm or sprain of the ankle, doctors usually recommend applying ice to the affected area because it has an important role in relieving pain. In fact, bathing with cold water is almost the same effectiveness as for the treatment of injuries, as snow and cold help to narrow the blood vessels, reducing inflammation that causes pain and swelling.